12 Great Marketing Ideas for Your Taxi Business
5th January 2018
Now is a good time to start thinking about how you’ll grow your business in 2018 once the excitement of the Christmas and New Year rush dies down.
While word-of-mouth is a great way to win work and to grow your business, in a busy and competitive market, it’s often not enough to keep your business growing.
To give you some idea starters for 2018, we’ve listed the most effective marketing ideas that we see smaller taxi firms using to win new customers.
These ideas are…
- Low cost
- Simple to implement
- Proven to work
You may be forgiven for thinking that successful marketing in 2018 is all social media, apps and search engines, but the good news is that there are some highly effective techniques that are much easier to implement, less expensive to set up and just as likely (maybe more likely) to work.
Here are some great marketing ideas that we see working day in, day out for businesses just like yours…
Some people may think that in the age of the smartphone, tablet and apps that offline marketing like flyers, leaflets, beer mats and posters is dead.
However, whilst it’s true that some of the newer methods work well, the old ones can still be super effective.
And they can be easier, cheaper and faster to set up. So, let’s revisit some time-proven and still effective marketing ideas for taxi firms like yours…
1. Leaflets/Flyers– flyers distributed through local hotels, pubs, local businesses and at other hot spots are a proven and highly effective way to keep the phone ringing.
2. Beer Mats– we really like this idea. Printed Beer Mats distributed through local pubs and clubs are effectively a mini flyer, but placed right under your potential customers nose at a time and in a place likely to generate a booking.
3. Fridge Magnets– we think fridge magnets are underrated. Get your drivers to give them to customers who they drop off at their home and they are a great way to remind your customers of your number, promoting more calls and bookings.
4. Keyrings– the same applies to key rings with your name and phone number on them. They are usually on customers at all times and a great prompt for them to call and book with your firm.
5. Calendars– at this time of year many people are looking for a new calendar to hang at home, give them one of yours and your name and number will be on their wall for the next year. You can even get magnetic calendars from companies like Vistaprint.
6. Vehicle Signage– of course, your greatest source of free (well, almost free) advertising are your cars. How good is your signage? Do you make the most of the opportunities to promote your phone number, your website and of course (and importantly) the availability of your customer booking app?
7. Bus Stop Shelter Posters– on a cold rainy night, waiting for the bus soon loses its appeal, your poster will get customers who need a taxi on the phone or using your app to book.
Here are some fantastic online marketing opportunities that you can add into your 2018 marketing plan…
8. Email – well targeted emails to your customers at the right time can generate some really good business and bookings at low cost. For example, promoting airport transfers in the lead up to school holiday periods and over the summer holidays can generate lots of high earning work.
TIP: Remember not to send emails from your business email account, you need to use a service like NewZapp to avoid disrupting your main business email service.
9. Website – as a local company, your website can be a key tool for new (and old) customers to find you. A simple, attractive and well-designed marketing website gives you a marketing advantage, especially when you incorporate your iCabbi web booker into the website.
10. Social Media – you can use social media to promote special offers and discounts to specific audiences (such as students) to attract bookings around specific times of the week, the day (or evening) and special events.
11. Promote Your App – the stats we collect at iCabbi clearly show that a growing number of customers prefer to download and to use a good customer app. The good news for small independent taxi firms is that app based dispatch systems such as iCabbi make it easy to offer an Uber like experience to your customers – easily and inexpensively. If you haven’t already, make 2018 the year that you offer your customers the choice and get a top-quality app based dispatch system for your business.
12. Texts – this is also a fantastic way to prompt bookings in advance. For example, you can text your customers in the lead up to New Year’s Eve, ahead of school holidays and other key events reminding them to book ahead to avoid the rush. That way, you ensure that you get the business.
As you look forward to 2018, it’s a great time to think about how you’ll grow your business.
Even implementing 3 or 4 of these ideas on top of what you already do will give your business the boost it needs to defend against the competition and to attract more new customers.
And remember, it’s not just about new customers – drivers notice as well. They like to be part of a busy, growing, well run business, so when they see you consistently and successfully marketing your business they are more likely to stay with you, and you’ll even attract new drivers.